Thursday, February 4, 2010

Baptism and Advent (12/1/2009)

I’m guessing most of you got to celebrate Thanksgiving last week with at least one of the three big “F”s in America: food, family, ...and football. But at Victory of the Lamb this past Sunday we also took the opportunity to thank God for his great faithfulness.

It was a really great day. Over 160 people got to witness God being faithful to his promise in baptism as a mother and her baby boy were both baptized and brought into God’s family. We were reminded of the promise that God has made to each of us who’ve been baptized. “You are mine. Your sins are washed away. You are special. You are loved. I am yours. Even if you have nothing else, if you have me, you have everything.”

It got me thinking Sunday afternoon, “I wonder how many people I know who aren’t baptized?” Because God is faithful to his promises there is awesome comfort in baptism. But I wonder how many people don’t know what baptism is or they see it as something they have to do to please God rather than as a promise that God makes to them.

If you or someone that you care about isn’t baptized, I’d love to talk with you more about what God does for us in baptism. Just let me know. It doesn’t matter why you aren’t baptized. I’m not here to judge anybody for that. But like a mentor of mine used to tell me anytime he was surprised that I hadn’t experienced something (like deer hunting) in life, “Ben, you can’t do it any younger.” That still makes me smile, but it might as well be true for baptism too!

Definitely God’s promises are right at the top of the list when I think of things I’m thankful for. I’m also thankful for all the people God has put into my life. I’m also thankful for all the plans that God has in store for me, my family, and our church family. In church on Sunday we heard God’s prophet, Jeremiah, talk about God’s great faithfulness. The same Jeremiah also wrote, “For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future” (Jeremiah 29:11).

I’d like to wrap this up by inviting you to join us and learn more about God’s promises as we start a new worship series Sundays this December at Showtime Cinema called “Relax and Let God Prepare Your Christmas.” You can find out more by visiting our website: www.victoryofthelamb.com

No comments:

Post a Comment