Monday, May 24, 2010

God's Pastor Plan

If you've been coming to Victory of the Lamb or following what's going on, you know that for the last couple of months we've been planning and praying about calling a second pastor from this year's graduating class of Wisconsin Lutheran Seminary. We've been growing and we want to keep reaching more people while also helping the people we have reached to keep growing in their faith.

So we had a plan that we were pretty exicted about to call a part-time pastor for two years in the hope that we'd be able to support him full-time after that. I was really excited about our plan so that I could stay focused on outreach and preaching while the new pastor would focus on discipleship and developing Bible studies.

Well as it turns out, God in his wisdom saw fit not to have another pastor assigned to us this year. Basically there were more full-time pastor positions avaiable than anybody expected a few weeks ago. Those full-time situations were mostly filled first. Then when it came time for our pastor position to be discussed, the assignment committee just didn't feel that there was the right fit for our ministry situation.

So what's my reaction...after all our planning? Honestly...I told my District President that my gut-level reaction was that I'm thrilled so many of the Seminary's graduates received full-time pastor calls. I told him that I'm a Kingdom guy...and by that I mean that for me it's not just about building our church (with a lowercase "c") here in Franklin. I'm thrilled when God works to build his Church (with a capital "C") around the world...and I know that God's working to call people to faith in Jesus through the gospel in more places than our backyard.

God has so amazingly blessed Victory of the Lamb. He's enabled our church to grow. He's opened the door for us to worhsip in an amazing facility. He's helped us have the vision to stay focused on reaching unchurched people. He's convinced us that the gospel of Jesus Christ is all important. Absolutely I believe that God's going to bless us with whatever gifts we need to keep sharing the gospel.

So maybe the timing wasn't right even though we though it was. Maybe God wants me to spend more time develping leaders from within our church. Maybe God's got something even better in store. That's usually the case. Because our God is "the giver of every good and perfect gift" (James 1:17), I truly believe that sometimes God takes a good idea like ours and says, "Now that's pretty good...but instead here's the perfect gift...the one that you really need." That's what's fun about following where God leads and I know he'll help us to figure out what gift he's going to give us instead.

1 comment:

  1. God's blessings as the Lord guides you on the plans he has for you! A great passage is Jeremiah 29:11 - For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."

    ReplyDelete