Wednesday, February 2, 2011

White As Snow

Today is a “weather holiday.” At least so says the Mayor of Milwaukee. And I don’t know about you but so far I’ve been spending my “weather holiday” staring out the window at the snow drifting up to a couple feet all around our house. I’m about to get bundled up to go fire up the snow blower. I’m not sure I’ve ever seen this much snow! One friend’s status update said, “Went out with 4 children helping with shoveling duty. Came back with only 3.”

Now I know not everyone likes snow. I’m not the biggest fan personally. But there’s something cool about it when it’s a pristine, white blanket that covers everything. Actually the Bible uses that as a picture for the grace of God who forgives our sins for Jesus’ sake. Just like a blanket of white snow covers the landscape so that it looks pure and white and fresh, so God’s grace covers over all our sins—no matter how dirty or shameful they might be. God once said it like this: "Though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow.” (Isaiah 1:18). That is the joy of trusting in Jesus. He makes us pure and clean in God’s sight. He has covered over our sins with his righteousness like a blanket of fresh snow.

I just wanted to share that today as I’m sure many of you will be spending lots of time and energy shoveling snow.

We’re starting a new sermon series this coming Sunday, February 6th, and I want to invite you to join us as we learn more about the forgiving, transforming love of Jesus.

Worship – Sundays at 9:30 at Showtime Cinema, located just west of Hwy 100 on Loomis Road at 8910 S 102nd St. Come a little early, grab a cup of coffee, and a breakfast bite to eat at the Victory Café in the lobby. Come this Sunday for the start of our new sermon series “The Me I Want to Be – Version 2.0”.


Bible Quest (kids age 1-5th grade) – Also Sundays at 9:30 at Showtime Cinema. Bible Quest is our safe, fun Sunday morning kids’ ministry which takes place during our Sunday morning service. For more information about Bible Quest please contact our Children’s Ministry Director, Cassy Robbert

Quest (teen group) – Meets every third Sunday of the month at 9:30 at Showtime Cinema. Quest is our Sunday morning teen group that aims to help teens understand God’s place in their lives. Contact group leader Jon Brown-Schmidt for more info.

No comments:

Post a Comment