|"Your faith has saved you; go in peace." - Jesus|
Again this Sunday we’re going to get a chance to see just how much compassion Jesus has because he is the friend of sinners. Go ahead and read Luke 7:36-50 ahead of time. Think about the courage and the conviction that it took for the sinful woman to enter the Pharisees' house.
When we understand the true depth of our own sinfulness, then we can’t help but marvel at the magnitude of Jesus’ compassion and love for us too. It’s really this kind of deep appreciation for Jesus’ love that makes us want to be a church that welcomes sinners and shows them compassion too just like Jesus did.
- This week I met with Ben Reichel. Ben’s going to be our new Student Assistant, or Senior Vicar, this school year. I’m excited to introduce him to you this Sunday. Ben just got back from serving at a mission church for a year in a culturally diverse part of Toronto. He’ll be completing his senior year at the Seminary while serving with me at VotL. Ben’s duties will include confirmation class teaching and some occasional preaching. He’ll be installed during worship on 9/8 and preach his 1st sermon at VotL on that day too. So yes, that means we’ll have Pastor Ben and well…Mr. Ben? Vicar Ben? Maybe…just…Ben?
- Confirmation Class will begin again on September 16th. I am in the process of finalizing the schedule. If you have children 6th-8th grade, and you haven’t contacted me yet, please contact me to make sure I have your up-to-date contact info so that you receive further communication about the class.
- Save the date: Our Fall Festival will be on Saturday, October 5th at Lions Legend Park. Mark your calendars. More info to come.
- Do you have a CD player at home that you are no longer using? Please consider donating it Bible Quest. We are currently looking for two additional CD players for weekly use in the classroom. Music is an important part of our learning and a number of our activities are on CD. Contact Cassy or bring your CD player to church on Sunday. Thanks!
- Bible Quest Kickoff Sunday! September 8th is the first regular season Packers game and the day BQ kicks off the new Discoverer Room. This new room will be held in Theater #11 (across from the Explorer Room). The ages from the rooms will be: Climbers 18 months to 2 year olds, Adventurers 3 and 4 year olds; Discoverers 5 and 6 year olds, and Explorers 7 year olds to 5th graders. We are introducing the new room because the current Adventurer room is just too big (God be praised!) and by reducing the age range in each room, kids will have a better Sunday morning experience. Have you ever wondered what exactly goes on in Bible Quest? What the new room looks like? Kick Off Sunday is your chance! Cassy, our Children’s Ministry Director, will be giving guided tours of the rooms and talking about what is happening at Bible Quest on Kickoff Sunday. Tours will be at 8:45am and 9:00am. Special kick off treats and surprises will be on the tours!
- A number of you have asked about the potential for regularly giving your offerings online. Well we’ve got it. You can set up recurring or one-time giving here. You can also access the e-giving site via the Electronic Giving tab on our website.
- Finally, meetings continue with people in Franklin regarding the future of
VotL—just where and how we partner with people in our community to help others, show
compassion, and make a difference long-term in our community. We’re
having some great conversations with City officials and Kayla’s Krew
and generally just praying that God keeps guiding us into the future!
At this time we have not formally moved forward with applications for
rezoning the Loomis Rd property. We are awaiting another meeting and
conversation with the Mayor.