In our series starting this Sunday, we’re going to answer that very question too by digging into some Old Testament scriptures. Our back-to-school series brings us face to face with the spiritual weaknesses that plagued the Bible’s heroes and villains of old.
What’s amazing is how incredibly contemporary their stories are. As their stories speak to our own individual life stories, our comfort is Jesus, who alone can rescue us from both the guilt and the tyranny of our sinful nature.
That’s why the New Testament encourages us that everything that was written in the past was written for our benefit, “so that through the endurance taught in the Scriptures and the encouragement they provide we might have hope” (Romans 15:4).
Come find hope this Sunday as we start our new series!
excited for Sunday not just because we’re starting a new series (and
the start of a new series is always a good time to invite someone new)
but because our new Student Assistant, Ben Reichel will be installed in
the service. For the next year while he finishes up his senior year at
the Seminary, Ben will be a part-time preacher at VotL sharing the
gospel with us every 4th or 5th Sunday. He’ll also
be team teaching Confirmation Class with Jon Brown-Schmidt. Unlike Joe
Gawel last year, Ben won’t have any responsibilities with our small
groups ministry which will be led long term now by Daniel Tomczyk to
provide consistency from year to year. And by the way…more info coming
soon about those groups starting this Fall.
- There will be NO Sunday morning Bible study this week. Instead you are all invited to…
- Bible Quest Kickoff Sunday…celebrating the launch of the new, additional Discoverer Room (our 4th Bible Quest room)! Have you ever wondered what exactly goes on in Bible Quest? What the new room will look like? Kickoff Sunday is your chance to get a first-hand look. Cassy, our Children’s Ministry Director, will be giving guided tours of the Bible Quest rooms and talking about what is happening at Bible Quest. You are all invited whether you have kids in BQ or not. Tours will be at 8:45am and 9:00am. Special kickoff treats and surprises will be on the tours!
- Confirmation Class is beginning again soon—next Sunday in fact, September 15th. Confirmation class takes place twice a month during the Sunday morning worship time. Parents, if you have children 6th-8th
grade, and you haven’t contacted me yet, please contact me to make sure
I have your up-to-date contact info so that you receive further
communications about the class.
- Save the date: Our Fall Festival will be on Saturday afternoon, October 5th at Lions Legend Park. Mark your calendars. More info to come next week.
- Here is a link to this past Sunday’s worship folder.
- Last but not least…we rejoice with Micah Biesterfeld and Robina Reddie who will be joined together in marriage tomorrow afternoon. I have the privilege of leading their rehearsal and preaching at their wedding service tomorrow. In case you’re wondering…when you don’t have a church building of your own, you do the next best thing and borrow someone else’s! So in the case of Micah and Robina they’ll be married at St John’s Lutheran Church on 68th and Forest Home.