Friday, November 1, 2013

Victory News - God Is Our Refuge

Wednesday morning I awoke early—around 4 am. No, it wasn’t because our foster daughter was crying. It was because I was. At least...I was in my dream. Suddenly wide awake however I felt sick to my stomach. The quickly fading memory of the dream, and the feelings that went along with it, were still fresh.

We were in an urban area—my family and I. But we got separated. There was an earthquake. Buildings collapsed all around us. Kaboom! One of my daughters was gone. I couldn’t find her. She was buried alive. It was sorrow overwhelming. I was weeping. All of a sudden the world around me starting spinning out of control like it was being sucked into a black hole.

Then I woke up. Heart pounding. Sick to my stomach. Sweating.

Until I went to one of my “go-to” verses which says, fittingly, God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble.  Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea” (Psalm 46:1-2). God used that verse once again to soothe my soul, still my mind, and settle down my heart.

No wonder Martin Luther also found Psalm 46 to be one of his favorite prayers. He loved it so much it became the basis for one of his most famous hymns, “A Mighty Fortress Is Our God.” This Sunday at VotL we’ll learn about why knowing God as our refuge gives such peace as we wrap up our series Bridging the Gap under the theme: Find Truth.

  • New Bible 101 Starting THIS TUESDAY! What are you waiting for? This is your opportunity to start digging in, finding answers to your questions, and discovering the joy of knowing Christ’s victory!

    When: 4 Tuesday evenings starting November 5th from 6:30-8:00 pm
    Where: The community room at Harris bank on 76th and Rawson.
    What: 4 weeks, 4 topics—sin, grace, faith, works

    Click here to register!  Think about bringing a friend. God promises that his word changes lives!
  • Missionaries’ Conference Recap. This Monday and Tuesday I got to be out of town attending a WELS missionaries’ conference in the Dells. The best part was getting to connect with some classmates and friends. It’s good to be able to have opportunities to encourage each other, share ideas, and help carry each others' burdens. Over the course of two days we also sat through quite a few presentations from our mission counselors and other pastors on topics like, “Christ is sufficient,” “The reality of the world in which we live,” “Relationships with those of a different culture,” “Staffing for growth and structure for a large church” and “Special ministries use for evangelism.”
  • Join us for our annual VotL Thanksgiving Fellowship Meal on Sunday, November 24th. Join us for fellowship at 4:30 and dinner around 5PM.

    The meal will be held at the Oak Creek Community Center (8580 S. Howell Avenue in Oak Creek - appx. 1 mile south of Drexel or 1 mile north of Ryan Rd.)

    Suggested donations for dinner are $10 for adults (over 12) and $6 for children (2-12). These donations will be collected at the dinner.

    CLICK here to RSVP (I think this link should work for you)

    Otherwise please RSVP to Sammi Goodger via phone (414-304-5736), email, or at church. RSVPs must be submitted by Wednesday, November 13th.

    We hope you can join us!
  • Today is the day all the proper applications and paperwork are being submitted to the City to officially begin the rezoning process on the Loomis Rd land. We will keep you updated with dates and times of community hearings in the weeks ahead! Please keep this in your personal and family prayers.
  • Sermon audio podcast from Sunday.
  • Recorded service video from Sunday.
Sharing Christ’s Victory,

Pastor Ben

No comments:

Post a Comment