Friday, April 11, 2014

Victory News - Palm Sunday's Coming

“Ready or not, here I come.” My kids love playing hide and seek—especially after church in the Showtime Cinema lobby. It’s quite the place to play!

“Ready or not, here I come.” These words could also apply to what happened on Palm Sunday. Jesus came to Jerusalem. Some were ready to receive him as their king. Others were not. His true glory was hidden from them. So on a day when everyone should’ve been happy, knowing this made Jesus sad.

Still, Jesus continued on into Jerusalem anyway. He had a mission to carry out. The cross was his destination. And because of what he accomplished there Jesus is still coming to us today through his word and sacraments. He is building his kingdom in our hearts. How will you receive him?

Come this Sunday as we take a look at another clip from the Son of God movie. We’ll apply to our lives the truth that Jesus is The Coming King.

He comes to bring you peace!

Soccer Camp Registration – Be sure and register your kids for our 7th annual Soccer Camp. This year, camp is June 17th-20th at the Polonia Soccer Club from 1pm-4:30pm each day. It’s for kids ages 4-11. Soccer camp features learning soccer skills, practicing drills, daily scrimmages, and tons of soccer fun. In addition, we have a great daily break for a snack, some music with the band Fide, and learning all about Moses and God’s grace. Register here today! If you have any questions, please contact Cassy—our Children’s Ministry Director.

Operation Jesus Cares Spring Project – So far we have raised $2,150 towards our goal of $2,600.00 for the My Team Triumph running stroller! We are getting very close to our goal, and hopefully we can reach it within these next couple weeks. Thank you! Please consider donating towards this project so we can continue to make a difference to those with special needs in our community. You can use your OJC envelopes to make donations during the weekly offering. You can also donate easily online by designating to the OJC fund. Or else you can just put a check or cash in any envelope and write Operation Jesus Cares on it.

LWMS Blessings! – This past Saturday I had the opportunity to be at St. Peter’s Lutheran Church in Fon du Lac to give a presentation on church planting. I talked about Victory of the Lamb and how we try to love people enough to meet them where we’re at. Two things blew me away this week in terms of generosity and kindness.

First, I received a check in the mail for $531 to Victory of the Lamb from the Winnebago Circuit of the Lutheran Women’s Missionary Society (LWMS) along with a thoughtful card that says, “We pray for your continued success in gathering the unchurched and for the strengthening of your church family.”


Gotta love the fist pumps from the back row!

Second, I also received in the mail a special letter from one individual in particular who was built up and uplifted by my presentation. She enclosed a $1,000 check for Victory of the Lamb in support of our ministry along with the words:

“I especially took to heart your practice of loving people where they are at. It really made me think how important that is and I am now using that practice in my life. I’ve only done it for two days now but it has made a big impact on me with my interaction with people… I will keep you, your family, and your congregation in my prayers. May God continue to richly bless you all!”

Things Moving and Shaking – Our building design task force met again this week in preparation for another meeting next week with the architects. We’re getting close to having a site plan and schematic layout ready for presenting to the congregation. Our building finance task force also met over breakfast this week.

Looking For Help – As I mentioned earlier this week in an email, there is a woman from our community who needs a ride on April 21st to a dental appointment at Marquette Dental School from 3:00-6:00 pm. She gets around in a wheel chair and needs someone who is physically able to put it into a vehicle. Since my last email I’ve also learned that she requires someone who drives a car, not a van or an SUV because she is only able to get into a car. Unfortunately that information means a couple of you weren’t able to help. You know who are you and thanks for volunteering! So I’m now repeating my request. If there are any of you who are able to help potentially give Cheryl a ride, please contact me and I’ll get you her phone number. I’m hoping we as a church are able to help transport her not only to her dental appointment but possibly also to church in the near future.

Easter Flowers—Help us beautify the area up front for our Easter service next Sunday. Easter lilies are $7.50 each. Yellow daffodils, tulips, and hyacinths are available for $7.00 each. Just write your name on an envelope with your name, product, and total. Please make checks out to Sharon Kiesow.

Sermon audio podcast of Vicar Ben’s sermon last Sunday

Sharing Christ’s Victory,

Pastor Ben

No comments:

Post a Comment