Friday, May 2, 2014

Victory News - Milestones

Tomorrow morning, God willing, I will be running in my first half-marathon. 13.1 miles. But I’ve never run more than 10 miles in my life. So the bad news is I’ve only trained up to six miles over the last couple weeks because of this cold, wet spring (Are you buying my excuses?).

Yet the good news is that I won’t be alone. I’ve got a teammate, Riley, who’s going to run alongside me as we take turns pushing Josh in the special My Team Triumph jogging stroller along the way. And this, for me, I know is going to make all the difference. Though Riley I’m sure could take off and run far ahead of me, yet for my benefit he’s going to run alongside me and help me make it to the finish line. And together we’re going to get Josh there too. We’re a team.

Life itself is a lot like this I think. It’s a journey. And in many ways I think so is faith. Not faith itself. But going through life with faith in God. It’s a journey. We’re better together. Coming alongside each other. Encouraging each other. Sometimes helping push each other to the goal of heaven. And in doing so we’re really just reflecting the love of Jesus who meets us where we’re at so that he can help us get to where he wants us to be.

That’s what we’ll be talking about this Sunday as we continue our Stonework series with the theme Milestones. If you like, go ahead and read the story I’ll be talking about from Luke 24:13-35.

“Future Home of” Sign – If you keep heading south on Loomis Rd past Showtime Cinema you’ll now be able to see our new “future home of Victory of the Lamb” banners on our land. I’ve already had a couple people contact me who have seen the sign asking about our church. With the banners we hope also to be able to switch out one of them on occasion to promote upcoming events. Thank you to Chuck, Nate, and their friend Ken Jr. for helping to install those banners this week…during the cold rain even!


Life-a-Thon –Don’t miss out on a fun opportunity to get some exercise and help a great cause. Next Saturday May 10th is the annual Life-a-Thon 5K Run/Walk to support the life giving ministry of WELS Lutherans for Life Metro-Milwaukee. Visit www.Life-a-Thon.org for more info and registration or call 414-727-8176414-727-8176. Rain or shine, my family and I will be participating at McCarty Park here on the south side. We’d love to see you there.

Soccer Camp Registration – June 17-20 for kids ages 4-11. Jesus, soccer, friends, and fun! To cover expenses there is a $40 / person registration fee. We provide a soccer camp T-Shirt, water bottle, and daily snacks. Space is limited, so register soon! Here’s a direct link to register. If you have any questions, please contact Cassy—our Children’s Ministry Director.

Live Streaming Switcheroo Heads Up –On Sunday, May 4 we will be switching our live streaming provider from Ustream to Livestream. We’ll be sure and update the URL destination on our website but if you are used to going the directly here’s the new link to our Livestream channel. In the meantime you can still access our Ustream channel here.

Things Moving and Shaking – This Wednesday evening the Leadership Team met with the Building Design Task Force to review the latest schematic drawings from the architect and give input regarding our vision for various areas of ministry. We are really getting close to honing in on what I think is a home run kind of facility for our mission and ministry. I’m very excited about it! I think what excites me the most in this whole process is the vision focus that we all have in creating a ministry center that is a tool for us to even better carry out our mission of sharing Christ’s victory with today’s people, loving them enough to meet them where they are. Before presenting to the congregation for feedback though our next steps are to further study the financial impact of a couple different scenarios and then prayerfully coming to a Leadership Team consensus on which of those options we want to present.

Pastors’ Conference – Monday I spent the day at Christ the Lord Lutheran Church in Brookfield attending conference. We had a communion worship service in the morning to get things started off followed by three sessions led by Pastor Panitzke from St. Paul’s Muskego who presented on the topic “Pastor as Change Leader.” Lots of helpful content to chew on. I will have some work to do over the next year as the chairman of our Western Lakes Conference program committee in planning next year’s two conferences.

Preaching Webinar – Tuesday afternoon I watched a webinar with a couple other pastors on becoming a better preacher / communicator. Always trying to learn, always trying to grow.

Sharing Christ’s Victory,

Pastor Ben


No comments:

Post a Comment