Friday, May 9, 2014

Victory News - Touchstone

Do you know how to spot a scam? Sometimes they’re obvious. Sometimes they’re subtle. One thing’s for sure. Scammers are always adapting.

This Sunday Jesus wants to help each of us learn how to avoid getting spiritually scammed in a world where there are lots of different voices competing for our attention.

We’re going to see how Jesus is our touchstone.

The idea of a touchstone comes from ancient Greece where a touchstone was used to verify if gold coins were legitimate. You would take the gold and scrape it on the touchstone. Because of the properties of this stone the line would be a certain color. The touchstone would tell you if the gold was real, pure and true. And that’s what Jesus is going to help us do to this Sunday.

Because he loves us, Jesus wants to help us avoid spiritual scams by staying close to him—our Good Shepherd.

Soccer Camp Registration – June 17-20 for kids ages 4-11. Jesus, soccer, friends, and fun! To cover expenses there is a $40 / person registration fee. We provide a soccer camp T-Shirt, water bottle, and daily snacks. Here’s a direct link to register. If you have any questions, please contact Cassy—our Children’s Ministry Director.

Life-a-thon – Tomorrow morning my family and I will be participating in the 2014 Life-a-Thon at McCarty Park here on the south side. It looks like it’s going to be a beautiful morning! You can still come and register in person tomorrow morning to participate. Otherwise if you can’t come but you’d still like to support this ministry my family and I would welcome your support. We’re just $65 from our goal of raising $300. You can visit this website to donate if you’d like.  Otherwise you can visit www.Life-a-Thon.org for more info as well.

LPS Chapel – Wednesday morning I had the opportunity to lead chapel at Luther Preparatory School in my hometown of Watertown. LPS is where I went to high school. I grew up just a couple blocks from the campus. It’s one of two Synod prep schools designed to help encourage young people towards full time ministry in the church. It’s a great school and if any of you would ever like to know more about it just let me know. I’d be more than happy to talk with you.

Live Streaming – Last Sunday we switched our streaming service from Ustream to Livestream. Our new church website reflects this change but here’s the new link to our Livestream channel. One more note about live streaming… because this Sunday our regular a/v tech people are going to be out of town we may or may not have live streaming set up and working. Just letting you know. Our top priority this Sunday will be to make sure we have live sound in the theater at Showtime Cinema! Live streaming would be like a little cherry on top.

On a personal note – We celebrated the resurrection hope we have as believers in Jesus this Tuesday at my Grandma Nottling’s funeral. I got to spend time with family I don’t get to see very often. Special thanks to those of you who sent us cards and well wishes.

Likewise just a couple hours ago I learned that my dear Grandpa Nottling has now also gone home to heaven where Jesus has prepared a place for them.

Grandpa and Grandma spent 61 years together happily married and only two weeks recently apart. Now they are both with Jesus in heaven. It’s going to take a little time for all this to sink in I think.

I’m not yet sure when funeral arrangements for my Grandpa will be but thanks again for your support of me and my family.

Sharing Christ’s Victory,

Pastor Ben

No comments:

Post a Comment