Monday, September 8, 2014

"Jimmy V" Verses ("Don't give up...don't ever give up!)

I still remember it. I was almost a teenager sitting in the basement as I watched Coach Jim Valvano on live TV give his now famous speech at the ESPY Awards. To this day it remains one of the most inspirational speeches I've ever heard. Here was a man dying of cancer who inspired me as a boy who loved basketball to think about how I wanted to live life to the fullest. And with his body racked with tumors he encouraged us all, "Don't give up...don't ever give up!"

God has similar encouragement for us too. And if I could add anything to Jimmy V's inspirational speech in 1993 where he said that there are three things in life that we should do everyday to have a good day--laugh, think, and be moved to tears with joy--I would add that we should also meditate upon God's precious promises.

And so I'm calling this last category of my Chew on This! challenge "Jimmy V verses" because each of these verses from the Bible offers us inspirational encouragement from our God himself who says, "Don't give up...don't ever give up!" So take Coach Valvano's advice and spend some time in thought today. But do it on one of these verses. Consider the great promises attached to this divine encouragement.

Hebrews 10:25   25 Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another-- and all the more as you see the Day approaching.
Philippians 3:13-14  Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, 14 I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
1 Corinthians 15:56-58 56 The sting of death is sin, and the power of sin is the law.  57 But thanks be to God! He gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.  58 Therefore, my dear brothers, stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain. 
Galatians 6:9   9 Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up.
Revelation 2:10b  Be faithful, even to the point of death, and I will give you the crown of life.
Add Your Own…

No comments:

Post a Comment